When I was younger, the thought of eating pasta that was green completely repulsed me and I thought basil smelt like cat pee (sorry) !!!
However, as I got older I started to love it and realised that pre-made pasta sauce is made and preserved with milk - my dairy intolerant tummy was not amused !!
So I started to experiment with different ingredients to make a delicious pesto pasta that's completely dairy and gluten free!
(makes 2 dinner servings)
You will need:
- Fresh basil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Crushed Garlic clove (or one tea spoon garlic paste)
- 1 cup of sun dried tomato
- 1 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Gluten Free spaghetti (I used brown rice spaghetti because its my favourite pasta)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup Baked Chickpeas (optional)
1) Get your pasta boiling
2) Chop up your basil and add it to your blender or food processor
3) Add the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, half of your pine nuts to the blender and blitz until smooth (you may need to add more olive oil if its not smooth)
4) Drain the pasta when its cooked (following the instructions on your specific pasta packet)
5) In a large bowl (or pan you boiled your pasta in) combine your cooked pasta, sun dried tomato, remaining pine nuts and pesto sauce from the blender (and chickpeas)
6) Serve straight away or cold with a sprinkle of cheese/nutritional yeast!