One of the first things I tried to make when I found my passion in the kitchen was Dairy Free Flapjacks. Something about using dairy butter in flapjacks just made them so delicious and sticky. Something that, I found, vegan butter couldn’t achieve. Finally, after many failed attempts, I think I’ve finally created the perfect alternative & as you can see by the photo, they were too good to wait …
- 3 cups of Jumbo Oats
- 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 5 table spoons of Honey or Agave Syrup for Vegan
- 2 cups of frozen fruit (I used a medley of berries)
- 8 dates (optional for added sweetness)
1) Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and set the oven to 180
2) In a sauce pan, add the coconut oil and place on a low heat
3) Once the coconut oil has melted add the Honey/Agave Syrup and stir through to combine
4) Leave the oil and syrup mixture to simmer on a low heat, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. In the mean-time, add the dates and 2 cups of room temperate water to a blender & whiz into a caramel looking paste
5) Add the date water and oats into the pan and stir, creating a sticky mixture
6) Finally, add the frozen fruit allowing the fruit to run into the mixture
7) Pour into your lined baking tray and place in the oven for 30-40 minute until golden
Allow to stand for 20 minutes, this is important to allow the flapjack to stick together and not collapse.
& Finally, enjoy!